Prolific Anglican church architect JH Buckeridge designed this simple Arts and Crafts inspired structure with a shingle roof that was built in 1891 using timber from Esk Valley. Although it was to be a temporary replacement for the stone church that had stood on this site since 1873 until being irreparably damaged in a storm in 1890, it is still in use today and is heritage listed.
Until the original church was built, all services were conducted in the Anglican section’s mortuary, hardly an inspirational setting. The church in its early days went on to serve the community at large including the inmates and employees of the dreaded Brisbane Gaol that once loomed up the road where The Barracks are today.
Christ Church Milton
9 Chippendall St