Gas Stripping Tower

West End

The only one of its kind left in Australia today, this cast iron tower was made in England and shipped out in sections to the 1880’s established South Brisbane Gas and Lighting Company in 1912 in an effort to upgrade their production facilities. Its role was to strip raw coal gas of its impurities - ammonia and coal tar – and, not to be wasted, these impurities were then drained and sold as ammonia liquor.

By 1949 technology had improved further and the tower was decommissioned and by 1970 the company itself had closed due to natural gas being widely available. The majority of the gas company buildings were demolished but a few heritage listed relics still stand at 321 Montague Rd, while this tower was restored separately and moved 150m away from its original position to where it now stands.

Gas Stripping Tower  

Davies Park  

Riverside Dr 

West End

Map

Davies Park, West End, Queensland

Book now for An American in Paris
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
ADVERTISEMENT