Underwood To Eagleby

Heritage Trail

Underwood to Eagleby is Trail Number 4 in a series of public art and heritage trails throughout the city of Logan, highlighting heritage buildings, historic cemeteries, public artworks and other points of interest.

Follow the interactive map provided by Logan City Council, with more than 20 sites to visit, or create your own highlights tour.

This self-guided trail starts at Underwood at the junction of Logan Road (named after Captain Patrick Logan, it was once called Slack’s Track after a grazier who drove his cattle to market along an old aboriginal path) and Underwood Rd. Bruno Laspina built his fruit shop here in 1972 in the area’s first strip of shops. He mounted a World War II artillery gun on the roof and named it The Big Gun Fruit Mart. 

At Underwood Park, FUNderwood Hollow is Australia’s largest Spielart adventure playground. 

Underwood to Eagleby

Close to Underwood Park is the Chung Tian Temple, meaning middle heaven. This Zen Buddhist temple is open to the public and features an art gallery, museum and teahouse offering light vegetarian meals and refreshments.

Springwood Park is a popular playground and picnic area. There are two war memorials here including one dedicated to Indigenous Light Horsemen of the Boer, First and Second World Wars.

Nearby in Daisy Hill, you’ll find the Dennis Family Cemetery established in 1874. The Dennis family were the first Europeans to settle at Daisy Hill around 1870. Daisy Hill is also home to the Koala Centre and Daisy Hill Conservation Park, a popular spot for bushwalking and mountain biking. 

On Winnetts Road in Daisy Hill, there’s the beautiful, heritage-listed St Mark’s Anglican Church (1901) and historic cemetery with graves dating back to 1883. It is the final resting place of well-known local families and settlers such as the Winnetts, Murrays, Morrows and Shailers.

The Carbrook Lutheran Cemetery is another historic cemetery on this trail.  Established in 1875, many of the area’s early German settlers are buried here. Heritage-listed former Carbrook State School (originally Gramzow Provisional School) opened in 1877. The German name Gramzow was changed to Carbrook during World War I. Nearby, the Fachwerk Farmhouse (1873) is the only known surviving example of fachwerk – traditional German building technique - in Queensland.

Eagleby was also home to many early German settlers and was once known as ‘Little Germany’. These pioneer families are well represented in the Eagleby Cemetery (1854).  It is one of the earliest cemeteries in the district.

Complete the trail with a stroll beside the Albert River or walk along the boardwalk at Eagleby Wetlands Reserve.

By Deb Lidster

Logan City Council is a valued partner of Must Do Brisbane.com

Logan Rd,

cnr Underwood Rd



Logan Rd cnr Underwood Rd Underwood

Book now for An American in Paris