For Aussie Kids
Aussie Hoopsis a leading national program aimed at getting both boys and girl up to the age 12 years old ‘Off the couch and on to the court’. Through a range of fun games and actives, the program develops and improves important ball skills, as well as encouraging hand-eye co-ordination.
Over the last 30 years there’s been an alarming national decline in ball skills amongst children, as previously free range active lifestyles have been replaced by inactivity and sedentary pursuits. And Aussie Hoops, which has been endorsed and widely adopted by Basketball Queensland, aims to reverse this trend.
Using a ‘games sense’ approach where children learn basketball through playing a range of games and activities, the emphasis at Aussie Hoops is on fun as well as skill development, while also involving parents and carers for back up support.
Says Basketball Queensland Junior Participation Manager, Peter Pollock explains “Skills are a function of repetition. With the increase in time spent by children on the Internet or playing Xbox and PlayStation games it is no wonder that basic motor skill proficiency will decline.
“Aussie Hoops is a testament to how children are wired to learn. Kids want to play. It’s how they learn. They want to have fun. It is the number one reason why children play sport and the number one reason why they quit, which is when it’s not fun,” he says.
Basketball Queensland CEO, Graham Burns, sums it up, “In addition to promoting healthy and active lifestyles and game skills, the program promotes strong social development and inclusion - fostering stronger and more vibrant communities and individuals.”
Not to mention that it’s an ideal platform for getting the children out of the house and getting them active again, regardless of whether they go on to play basketball.
Need further encouragement? Here’s a list of the Aussie Hoops benefits for both children and parents:
- Children learn fundamental motor skills, basic fitness conditioning and muscle management
- Children learn the importance of health and nutrition
- Children develop social, team work and cooperation skills
- Children are coached and encouraged by accredited and periodically assessed coaches
- Providing a structured and federally endorsed program for children to participate in over five-years
- Parent involvement is encouraged to facilitate a fun activity for the whole family
There’s an Aussie Hoops at a club near you, local clubs at:
• Toowoomba Mountaineers
• Southwest Queensland Regional Sport & Recreation - Toowoomba
• Gold Coast Rollers
• TSS Suns – Southport Gold Coast
• Ipswich Force
• South West Pirates
• Logan Thunder
• Bayside Basketball - Redlands
• Brisbane Capitals
• Northside Wizards
• Caboolture Suns
• Seahawks Gold Coast
• University of Sunshine Coast
• Caloundra Basketball